Friday, July 11, 2008

The Revitalization of the Front Porch

I tried to do something with the front of the house to make it look better. It's hard to tell what color our house is. It's either gray or blue. Some sort of chalky Mylanta color. We had this dark blue porch. I did not like it. Most porches are painted with a gray floor. I thought this would make our house look even more bland than it currently did. So I took a chance and painted the floor of the porch a light brown with some orangey/reddish tints. I also had James paint the house numbers and mailbox with some spray paint he "borrowed" from work. I found a flag and pole the old owners left in the basement. I bought a "primitive" star at the Christmas Tree Shop for $6.50. I took some old plant stands we put in storage when Ben started crawling and put them out there. I found some plants on Freecycle. I purchased paint brushes and painting tape at the Dollar Tree. I got two gallons of paint - both $18.50 with a $5 mail-in-rebate. I also purchased 3 bags of Red Mulch for $3.99 each. So I spent a grand total of $47.47 to spruce up the place. Here is proof:
House before my fancy work (notice you cannot even see the house numbers because they are the same color as the house!):

New and Improved (or so I think!):


Other angles of porch:

Also note, that I did everything here. I scraped the paint, I repaired some of the broken pieces of the porch, I painted, I found the free plants. James did spray paint the mailbox and numbers but I think he just did that so I couldn't say that I did everything myself. I told him not to do anything because I'm already making him remodel our kitchen and about 96 other things.

No comments: