Friday, May 7, 2010

Front Porch Preparations!

We are very excited - the first "major" home improvement that we hired someone to do is starting this coming Monday.  The new front porch!  We decided to go with an enclosed front porch since we could really use some extra space to store shoes, coats and toys.  Even though we really like the open porch - we aren't really "sit on out there and drink lemonade in our rocking chair people."  So enclosed it is. 

I'm really freaking out about the aesthetics of this project.  This project could totally change the look of the house and I really don't want it to look all ghetto.  So we surprisingly didn't go the "cheapest" route with some things.  My "big" issue with this porch is the windows.  I want real windows.  James wants the door to line up with the real door - and I personally wanted the porch door centered.  I let James win that fight.  He in turn supports my need for flower boxes some day. 

These are my last "pre-construction" photos:



Oh - and then I let out a little aggression with the Sawsall...I told the contractor he could just get rid of that big bush.  He said "no problem - they'll cut it first thing and throw it in the dumpster."  I couldn't pass up the opportunity to Sawsall anything:


One thing I will miss about the new porch:  It won't be held up by tree trunks.  That is really keeping it old school, but I think current building law says that concrete is stronger than tree trunks these days:

Under the current porch.

A close up of one of the beloved tree trunks.

I'll take pictures during construction because I'm gay like that.  I'm excited.  I just hope I stay that way after the finish product is unveiled. 

1 comment:

JoernandAllison said...

I love old houses and their quirks! Too bad holding up a porch with tree trunks is unsafe, because that is just so cool! Can't wait to watch the evolution of your new front porch :) Please take lots of during pictures!